Saturday, January 26, 2013

Grad school kinda takes over your life

Hello from Minneapolis everyone.  It's been quite a while, but don't worry, much has been progressing and moving along in the studio.

I moved into my beautiful studio at the U of M at the end of August and got things moving quite quickly.  I've been throwing, hand building, altering thrown pieces, drawing, painting, and trying to combine a lot of those elements together.  It's been exciting having this time to experiment and see what comes from letting go of self constraints I had.  It's been such a wonderful group of ceramic grads to work among along with the other graduate students in the program.  It's been a very supportive atmosphere to work in.  It is such a necessary thing for me to have in a studio practice, especially during big transition times.

I have been thinking a lot about the idea of space and place and how these two inform my work.  I know that's pretty vague but I'm still trying to solidify in what ways they are inspiring me and moving me to develop my work to what it is becoming.  It's a pretty exciting place to be actually.  But for now, here are some pots I've made and some in progress thoughts and ideas in the form of "constructions".




















5 comments:

  1. I love the architecture of your handbuilt pieces! I bought a bowl of yours at Crimson Laurel last spring and I eat out of it all the time! I just made a blog post with a photo of it:) Nice to hear about your grad school experiences. I'll be starting grad school this coming fall. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your interest! I'm glad you are enjoying your bowl. Good luck in grad school!

      Delete
  2. Wow, awesome stuff! I admire you're ability to explore the space of a cup with your shapes and glazes and its really cool to see that on some sculptural work. Sounds like U of M is a pretty rad place for a potter. I currently am looking for a good grad school that encourages wheel throwing. Do you have any fellow potters in your field? Also, are you headed to Houston this week for nceca?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments! U of M is a pretty great place. 3 of the other ceramic grads are potters as well. So pots are definitely welcomed here! Unfortunately I won't be attending nceca this year. Have fun if you go! Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. Erin, We just sold your creamer and sugar set at Studio 550! I see we need a new shipping address for you. Please email us a good address at info@550arts.com.

    Thanks! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete